Lesson 57: The Ten Commandments
After the children of Israel crossed safely over the Red Sea, they became hungry and thirsty at times, and they begged Moses to lead them back to Egypt where they had plenty to eat. They should have believed in Moses and God, that He would send them food. But they did not have patience, instead they grumbled. Moses prayed to God for them. Then God sent manna from heaven. Manna took the place of bread for them. God also gave them water to drink. Each morning they found the manna on the ground and at night God sent them quails to eat. God took wonderful care of the Israelites during their journey in the wilderness (desert).
God also wanted the Israelites to obey Him. God gave them some laws and the Ten Commandments. The Israelites said they would obey God.
- Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
- Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image.
- Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.
- Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy.
- Honor thy father and thy mother.
- Thou shalt not kill.
- Thou shalt not steal.
- Thou shalt be faithful.
- Thou shalt not bear false witness.
- Thou shalt not desire anything that is thy neighbor's.
- What did God send for the children of Israel to eat?
- Did the children of Israel have patience?
- How many commandments did God give the Israelites?