Lesson 27: Jesus Goes to Heaven and the Parable of the Ten Virgins
In this parable, Jesus wanted all his disciples and followers to understand that soon he was going away. Yes, Jesus was soon going to die, but God was also going to raise him from the dead. Jesus was only dead and in the grave for three days. The reason God did not let Jesus stay in the grave was because Jesus had been a perfect man (very good). God raised Jesus from the grave and gave him everlasting life. As Jesus' followers watched him going up into heaven, two angels stood by them and told them that Jesus would come back to the Earth again. (Acts 1:6-11)
We are now going to learn about a parable about a wedding. Part of the story is about ten virgins (umarried woman). We are told that five of the virgins were wise and five were foolish. Why was this? In those days, the virgins had to carry lamps because weddings were at night. They used oil to light the lamps. The wise virgins took extra oil for their lamps. They wanted to have plenty of oil so their lamps would not go out. The foolish virgins did not take extra oil. Jesus was trying to tell us how the oil represented God's Word, in our hearts and minds. God's Word shows us how to go and how to act or behave. It is like the oil in the lamps that can light the path and show us the way to go. We must always read God's Word, the Bible. If we forget to read the Bible, we will soon forget what God wants us to do. Jesus wants us to be watching and waiting, and ready when he returns to the earth. When Jesus returns, we want to be invited to join Jesus in the Kingdom of God.
- Who raised Jesus from the dead?
- How long was Jesus dead?
- Why did God raise Jesus from the grave?
- What did God give Jesus after He raised him from the grave?
- What did the two angels tell Jesus' followers when Jesus was taken up into Heaven?
- In the Parable of the Ten Virgins, what did the oil represent?
- How many virgins were wise?
- How many virgins were foolish?
- How can we be wise?
- When Jesus returns, he wants to find us ______________ and _______________.