Lesson 25: The Miracle of the Loaves and Fishes
Jesus had just heard that John the Baptist had been put to death by the wicked King Herod. This made Jesus very sad and he wished to be alone. It is likely that Jesus wished to pray to His Heavenly Father. In prayer we can often be comforted and made to feel that God is near us. Jesus got into a ship, probably near Capernaum, and went across the Sea of Galilee. Jesus was not alone when he got out of the ship. Many people had seen Jesus going across the sea. They wanted to hear Jesus, so many people walked around the shore to meet Jesus on the other side. Do you think Jesus was angry with the people because they followed him? No, Jesus was sorry for the people. Jesus did want to be alone, but he did not send the people away. Jesus spoke to them and healed many of the sick.
About this time it began to get dark. Jesus' disciples said to him that he had better send the people away now as it was getting late and the people were probably hungry and did not have enough food. There were no stores there, where you could buy food. Do you think Jesus sent them away? No, Jesus told his disciples to feed the multitude (many people). The disciples told Jesus that they could not feed so many because they had only five loaves and two fishes. Jesus said to bring the loaves and fishes to him. Jesus took them and gave thanks to God for them. Then he told everyone to sit down on the ground. Jesus gave the food to the disciples to pass to the people. Do you know how many people were fed? Five thousand men, as well as women and children. They all had plenty to eat. When they were through eating, there was enough food left over to fill twelve baskets full. We can see that this was another wonderful miracle that Jesus did. (Matthew 14:16-21)
Jesus then sent his disciples across the sea in the ship. Jesus stayed and sent the multitude away. Then Jesus was alone, and he went up into the mountain to pray. In the next lesson we will find out what happened to the disciples in the ship.
- Why did Jesus want to be alone?
- Was Jesus alone when he got out of the ship?
- How did the people get to the other side of the Sea of Galilee?
- Did Jesus send the people away because they followed him?
- How did Jesus feel about the people when they followed him?
- Why did the disciples want to send the multitude away?
- How much food did the disciples have?
- What did Jesus do with the food?
- How many men were fed? Anyone else?
- Did they all have enough to eat?
- How many baskets filled with food were left over?