Lesson 19: The Sermon on the Mount
In our lessons about Jesus we have learned three important things:
1. We have learned about Jesus' birth.
2. We have learned about Jesus' baptism by John the Baptist.
3. We have learned about Jesus' temptation in the wilderness.
After Jesus was tempted in the wilderness, many people began to follow him. There were so many people gathered around Jesus that he went up into a mount to teach them. This was called the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5:1-12). Jesus told the people about the Kingdom of God and how it would be set up on the earth. There are many kingdoms and kings and presidents today on the earth. But the kingdom of God wll be the greatest kingdom that has ever been. Jesus will be King. Jesus will be King over all the earth...not just part of the earth. When Jesus does set up God's Kingodm on the earth, all the people will learn about Jesus and about God. After everyone has learned about God and has obeyed the commandments, then there will never be anymore sickness or sorrow. Everyone will be well and happy. It will be a beautiful earth. There will not be any more weeds and all the animals will be kind and they will not hurt anyone at all. These are some of the things Jesus taught the people.
Jesus also taught them and us how to enter into that glorious kingdom. Jesus said we must be merciful. This means that we must be forgiving and kind to others. Jesus said we must be meek. This means that we must realize that we need God's help all the time, and that we must not get angry, but be kind. Jesus said we must seek after righteousness. To do what is right, we must learn all the commandments that Jesus left for us in the Bible. Jesus also said that if we try to obey God we will be blessed in our lives now, and also we will be blessed by having a place in God's kingdom when Jesus returns to the earth.
- Where was Jesus born?
- Who baptized Jesus?
- Was Jesus tempted or tried like we sometimes?
- Where did Jesus say that the Kingdom of God would be?
- Who will be King over God's kingdom?
- Will Jesus be King over the whole earth?
- After everyone has obeyed God what will the earth be like?
- What did Jesus mean when he said that we must be merciful?
- If we try to obey God, how will we be blessed?
- What must we learn in order to do what is right and please God?